Historic Triangle Localities Approve Design, Financing Plan for Regional Indoor Sports Facility

Williamsburg, Va. – Williamsburg City Council, James City County Board of Supervisors, and York County Board of Supervisors have committed to the regional indoor sports facility, each approving the project’s design concept, cost estimate, and financing plan at their respective meetings in the past two weeks.

The approval from all three localities allows the Historic Triangle Recreational Facilities Authority to begin the process of entering into a comprehensive agreement with construction firm MEB to design and build the sports facility on property adjacent to the Colonial Williamsburg Visitor Center.

The indoor sports facility’s capital cost is estimated at nearly $80 million. The approximately
200,000-square-foot facility includes 12 basketball courts that can be converted to 24 volleyball courts and 36 pickleball courts. The design also includes a climbing wall, ninja gym equipment, and a conversion turf system.

The facility is designed to offer an outstanding venue for sports tourism to generate new visitors, longer stays, and return visits. Additionally, the building will provide much needed recreation space for the Parks and Recreation Departments of James City County, the City of Williamsburg, and York County, expanding the recreational opportunities for Historic Triangle residents. The sports complex will be used for local recreational programs Mondays through Thursdays and open to regional and national tournaments Fridays through Sundays.

The financing plan requires the City of Williamsburg to provide 64% of the capital costs, or approximately $2.5 million annually, with HTRFA covering the remaining 36%, or approximately
$1.5 million annually.

James City County and York County will share the operating subsidy commitment through a shared funding agreement that considers local usage with both funding $400,000 in Year 1 and $800,000 in Years 2 through 5. For Years 6 through 30 they will provide $300,000 to $800,000 annually depending on the performance of the facility.

The plan review process for the sports facility is ongoing. The City of Williamsburg’s Architectural Review Board has approved the facility’s exterior design. The review process also includes a site plan review by City staff and the Williamsburg Planning Commission’s Site Plan Review Committees, as well as a rezoning request, which will require public hearings before the Williamsburg Planning Commission and Williamsburg City Council.

Nicole Trifone (Williamsburg): [email protected]
Renee Dallman (James City County): [email protected]
Gail Whittaker (York County): [email protected]